Dear 2016 Trump supporter:
The election of 2016 was a real mess. There is no doubt that there was a huge percentage of hard-working middle-class Americans that have long felt ignored by both aisles of the political establishment. Bernie Sanders was unethically upended by the Clinton machine and there was a sense that you would get nothing really new from her. I get it.
Still, it’s nearly two years into the Trump administration and what have you really got from him and the GOP machine? I think you would agree – not much. And by now, you must have a sneaking suspicion that his real motive has been self-dealing and self-preservation – and that Trump does not care about you personally.
Today we found out that Trump exempted the goods of Ivanka Trump from the Chinese tariffs he is personally promoting. Really? Tariffs are a tax on all os us. It’s OK for Trump to hurt American workers and farmers by taxing steel, cars, electronics, livestock, textiles, but Ivanka’s lines are exempt? That’s the essence of self-dealing. That’s not caring about Americans. To me, that should be the straw that breaks the Trump supporters’ backs, because there is no possible reason for the Ivanka exemption except self-dealing.
And it’s not only Americans that Trump is ignoring. He is ignoring our long-standing allies in Europe. Don’t you have a relative that fought in WW11? My father did. He upended and risked his young life to go and fight a dictator that threatened the world. Vladimir Putin is a dictator and a known killer. And yet, Trump has nicer words for Putin than the leaders of our allies and even well-regarded Americans citizens who happen to not be his political allies. He has kinder words for Vladimir Putin than John McCain. How does that sit with you? He likes Putin more than you, rest assured. And why is that?
Is it at least possible in your mind that Trump indeed did collaborate with Putin to sway American minds and fix the election of 2016? Maybe he thought “nothing matters if you don’t win”. ( That’s a Trump quote – and one of his most basic MO’s. ) But if you thought Hillary was wrong for fixing things against Bernie, can you see that it is even more wrong, more un-American to employ foreign enemy states to fix elections? Is this what our relatives fought and died for in WW11? No. Not at all.
Don’t forget that so far there have been more than 100 criminal indictments issued in the Russian election probe, 5 have pled guilty and the guilty already list includes Trump’s campaign and national security advisors, 16 actual Russians and 7 Americans close to Trump. He could show his taxes and speed the path to truth, but he won’t even do that.
And now Trump is at NATO trying to undo 70 years of peace that NATO was created in 1949 to defend. There are only two logical reasons for this.
- Putin has stated he does not like NATO. Russia is not part of NATO. Putin has Trump compromised for collusion*. So Trump is taking orders. Trump must attempt to destroy NATO or the truth about the collusion will be released.
- Trump really does not care. (Melania’s jacket said that. Maybe she did hear it first from Donald.)
Your Personal GOP Problem
What is Trump’s GOP party doing for you anyway? So far they have made their intentions very clear.
- American females should not have the final say about their own bodies. We see that in countries like Iran and don’t like it.
- Poorer Americans do not deserve health-care. If they can’t pay, it’s their fault and loss. The poor are dispensable.
- However, the rich deserve bigger tax breaks than the poor – percentage-wise!
- Our environment should not be protected from pollution, if there is money to be made in exploiting it.
- The books to educate our kids should largely be paid for by teachers and citizens even though they already pay taxes designated for public education. ( They like their supporters to be uneducated. Trump even said this on the campaign trail. “How stupid are the people of Iowa?”)
Trump supporter. This agenda is exactly what you wanted to go away when you voted for Trump. You wanted your everyday problems to not be ignored. But under Trump, it is all trending even worse for you and your kids. And that’s because the GOP and Trump do not care about you. And by now, 18 months in, it should all be very clear to you.
So, dear Trump supporter, what can you do about it? Actually, there is a lot Trump supporters can do. They can do much more than the resistance crowd. You can raise your voices and tell Trump through his Twitter and through your representatives that this is not what you bargained for when you supported Trump and that you will not be voting for them again if you don’t start hearing and seeing a turn-around in American policies.
Things to Tell Trump and Your GOP Representatives.
- You want healthcare as a right for you and your family.
- You want our environmental protection agency to continue to do what it was created for: protect our air and water supplies.
- You want to roll back the tax breaks for the rich until the middle-class and poor have comfortably attained the basics of life.
- You want to see Trump’s taxes before November or you will not support him or the GOP in November. It’s the least he can do to help us be sure he is not in bed with Russia. Americans need to know what happened in 2016 before we vote in 2018, not after. Showing his taxes would cut down on the expense of this investigation. The GOP can force Trump to show his taxes. Make them do it. In fact, the GOP can force Trump to do anything you want, if you raise your voices in unison.
- You want to stop the tariffs immediately. They are not helping your situation and you don’t want to wait and see how they work. History teaches us, tariffs do not help economies. Countries tariff back and then both sides lose. Trump knows this. But he does not care. There’s a way to make a buck with tariffs for high-ranking government officials who have undeclared foreign bank accounts.
- You want to be assured that Rowe v. Wade will not be overturned by his SCOTUS pick. You will not vote for the GOP at any level if this is not made 100% clear.
- You want Gerrymandering to end immediately. That should just feel un-American to you, I hope.
- Right now, you don’t really care about Hillary Clinton’s emails. HRC is just a retired grandmother in upstate NY these days. Make it clear to your reps that you care about your own family and how their policies affect them. Make it clear, you will not vote GOP this cycle if these things don’t change immediately.
The GOP Congress is not going to stop eroding the American standard of living to benefit the rich. They are not listening to you. It’s been going on for 40 years. Make sure they know that you will not support them in November unless you start hearing different messages from them and seeing things change now. Make sure they know you will not wait until after November to see if things get better. After November is going to be way too late this cycle.
Right now, unified Trump supporters could have the most important voice in the entire political universe. And that means you! The GOP really has no choice to listen to you, if you raise collectively your voices. And believe it or not, we are all on the same team anyway. We are all suffering under this president and Congress. And we are all Americans. And we all want the same thing: a better life for us and our families.
So Trump supporters. You wanted to not be ignored. You wanted to change that affects your own lives. And so you came out to the polls and got about 48% of the total votes in the USA. it was impressive. But nothing much changed for the better for you. And by now you know it was never the GOP plan to benefit working Americans.
What George Bush said seems very on target right now.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice? You already fooled me once, you ain’t gonna fool me again.
Don’t be fooled again. Let your voice be heard right away. That’s what I am doing. You do the same. Write something down on paper. Send it to a local paper. Call representatives. Assemble. Talk at lunch. Talk at dinner. Talk with friends. It’s like a snowball. It will gather momentum if you start now.
Joseph Aronesty 7/11/18 email@example.com any time
Dear Trump Supporter: Please share this post, or your thoughts on this post, in your social media and try to reach across the aisle. This is what it’s going to take to to save America.
About Joseph Aronesty.
He is a father of five, an e-commerce pioneer, author, linguist and songwriter. He is dedicated to his family and loves the ideals upon which America was founded.
I knew Trump a bit growing up. I was in a class at Penn with him in 1967. He paid a classmate for his work to get done. He was a rich, spoiled playboy then, with no regard for anyone else but himself. And I knew him from AC, where I worked close to him and witnessed him stiffing the contractors that built his casinos.
And 50 years later, Trump does not seem to have evolved at all. I don’t care if he has more money than me. He has no empathy for others. Trump’s Golden Rule is He who has the most gold, rules, not what Jesus said: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.